SLAVKOV CHATEAU THE CAIRN OF PEACE MEMORIAL SLAVKOV - AUSTERLITZ A commandery of German knights was built in the place of today's Baroque Slavkov Chateau near Brno in the 13th century. The Baroque transformation of the stately home of the Kounic family took place by the end of the 17th century during the ruling of Dominik Ondřej from Kounice according to the design of the Italian architect Domenico Marticelli. On 6 December 1805 after the Battle of Austerlitz the ceasefire between Austria and France was declared in the Historic Hall of the chateau. After World War II the chateau became a property of Czechoslovakia and the town of Slavkov u Brna is its owner today. In 2008, the premises were declared part of the National Cultural Heritage. The chateau is surrounded by a large park with several swimming pools, fountains and stone sculptures by Giovanni Giuliani. There is a golf course in the lower part of the garden.